- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. When heated, add the onions and garlic and cook until tender and browned.
- Add whole peeled tomatoes with juice, basil, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Open lid and mash the tomatoes until pieces are still visible. Cook uncovered for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375o F.
- In a small baking dish, press the goat cheese to fit the shape of the baking dish.
- Spoon 2 cups of the Marinara Sauce around the edge of the baking dish, leaving the center of the cheese exposed.Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until goat cheese is hot and soft and the marinara is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Then sprinkle with prepared basil leaves.
- Serve hot with crostini or garlic bread for dipping.
To chiffonade basil, stack 5 to 6 basil leaves and roll into a cylinder shape, then cut crosswise to create thin ribbons.
* Marinara Sauce
can be made up to 2 days ahead for easy preparation of this recipe.